Linnets out of FA Trophy

January 12, 2020

The Linnets bowed out of the FA Trophy for another season with this single goal defeat at National League Ebbsfleet United on Saturday.


Manager Ian Culverhouse had to make do without several regular starters including Jordan Richards, Rory McAuley and Tom Ward (cup tied ) along with long term injury victims Michael Clunan and Ryan Fryatt. There was however a welcome return for Chris Smith who made his first start since injuring his elbow in October. Michael Gash and Harry Limb were named on the bench after getting held up due to a car accident, only arriving a couple of minutes before kick off.


It was the visitors who made the better start to the game as Ross Barrows saw a header saved by keeper David Gregory who pushed the ball into Adam Marriott's path who turned his shot wide from three yards. Home midfielder Andre Blackman then saw red from referee Adrian Quelch after appearing to raise his hand at Barrows after a melee involving several players from both teams. The Linnets then pushed to make their advantage count as a lovely move involving Ryan Jarvis and Aaron Jones freed Alfie Payne who lobbed the keeper only for the backtracking Lawrie Wilson to clear the ball from the line. Josh Umerah shot from range for the home side in a rare attack before  Marriott rounded of the first half action , shooting straight at Gregory from twenty yards.


Chris Henderson hooked over from inside the box from a Ryan Hawkins cross as Lynn continued to press. The games only goal then arrived midway through the half as Umerah got the wrong side of Smith and ran into the box before forcing the Linnets defender into a clumsy challenge , leaving Mr Quelch no option but to award a penalty which substitute Ayo Obileye dispatched to Alex Street's left. The game then reverted to its previous pattern as Town now searched for an equaliser. Nathan Fox shot wide following a good run and Payne found himself in two minds following a good move. Well into stoppage time substitute Michael Gash headed over the bar in what proved to be the last action of the day leaving the Linnets free to fully concentrate on league matters for the rest of the season.


King's Lynn Town: Street, Jones, Fox, Jarvis, Barrows, Smith, Carey (Limb), Payne, Hawkins (Stewart), Marriott (Gash), Henderson.

Subs (not used): Kelly


Referee: Mr A Quelch.     

Attendance: 680


The reserves scheduled home game against Debenham LC was postponed with the pitch at Wisbech waterlogged.




Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Facebook App Icon © 2019 King's Lynn Town Football Club.

We Shop.png