Linnets in cup replay

September 22, 2019

The Linnets and Alfreton Town will have to meet again at The Walks on Tuesday evening to decide who will progress to the third qualifying round of this season’s FA Cup competition. Tuesday’s will be the third meeting of the two teams within a month after another keenly fought contest at a Sunny and warm North  Road on Saturday.


Lynn began brightly with  Sonny Carey  almost making the most of a rare start , seeing a powerful shot deflected wide. Michael Gash headed a Michael Clunan corner inches away from the target who finally made the most of their early dominance with a goal on seventeen minutes. Alex Street’s long punt was helped on by Gash to Adam Marriott who expertly lobbed the advancing Charlie Andrew giving the inform striker his tenth goal of an already productive season. Carey could have doubled his side’s advantage moments later but Andrew blocked the  effort  with his legs after the youngster had found himself in a one on one situation. Ross Barrows had the ball in the net but  was adjudged to have been offside  and at the other end Chris Smith cleared Danny Clarke’s low effort from his own goal line as Alfreton enjoyed a purple patch of pressure. They made that pressure pay in the final minute of the half as skipper David Lynch slammed the ball past Street from the edge of the area after Lynn had failed to clear their lines. There was still time for Andrew to perform an amazing stop to deny Gash restoring Town’s lead as he somehow tipped the striker’s rasping drive over his bar.


Alfreton continued to have the better possession after the break with Street doing well to turn away Josh Clackstone’s angled effort. Just after the hour Clarke fought of the attentions of Nathan Fox and drove into the Lynn box where he was upended by Street , giving referee John Matthews no option but to point to the spot for a penalty kick. However Amari Morgan – Smith seemed to let the pressure get to him and fired his effort well over the Lynn crossbar. Clunan fired wide from range and Conor Branson chipped beyond Street and the post as both teams searched for a winner. Deep into stoppage time Marriott wriggled free of his marker and sent in a shot that smashed against the post to substitute Natty Stewart who prodded wide ensuring the teams will have to meet again to decide who will move on to the next round and claim the £6,750 prize money on offer.


King’s Lynn Town: Street, Barrows, Fox, Richards, Fryatt, Smith , Clunan (Payne), Carey (Stewart), Gash, Marriott, Henderson (Kelly). Subs: Stewart, Payne, Jones, Jarvis, Kelly, Bastock.


Referee: John Matthews.    Attendance: 335


The replay will take place at The Walks on Tuesday, 24th September with a 7:45 kick off.


Normal admission prices apply. Please note season tickets do NOT apply for this fixture – all pay please.


If the match score is level at 90 minutes 30 minutes of extra time will be played. If the scores are still level after extra time the match will be decided by a penalty shootout.


The draw for the third qualifying round will be announced at 1pm on Monday with the ties being played on Saturday October 5th.




Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Facebook App Icon © 2019 King's Lynn Town Football Club.

We Shop.png