Linnets win at Telford

August 18, 2019

King’s Lynn Town turned in probably their best performance of the season to date  on Saturday  with this outstanding National North victory at Telford’s impressive New Bucks Head Stadium. First half goals from the Linnets strike duo of Michael Gash and Adam Marriott put the visitors into a deserved interval lead which was added to by   Alfie Payne who marked his full Town debut with an great  strike ten minutes after the restart meaning  James McQuilkin’s   response for the home side was purely  academic.


‘ We were superb today, absolutely excellent ‘ was manager  Ian Culverhouse’s  immediate response following the win that moved The Linnets up into third position in the early season league table. ‘ The club and myself are extremely lucky in the fact that we have a very talented group of individuals representing them. They work hard and today have got what they deserved for their efforts.


Culverhouse also had special words of  praise for youngster Payne, who joined up with the Linnets days before the start of the season on a season long loan from Norwich City. ‘ Alfie is a very talented kid who will only get better over the course of time. He has many attributes to his game and he shifts the ball quickly. He will be a great addition to the  squad  over the season’.


Culverhouse opted for three changes to his starting line up in the midweek Brackley draw with Ryan Jarvis, Sam Kelly and Payne replacing Ryan Fryatt, Jordan Richards and Chris Henderson who had to make do with bench places.


Both Kelly and skipper Michael Clunan tested keeper Corey Addai early on who dealt easily with their efforts. Addai  though was helpless to prevent Lynn taking the lead through Gash who outmuscled two home defenders before slotting beyond the keeper following a raking cross field ball from Aaron Jones. The full back then fed Clunan who tested Addai  from sixteen yards and then Marriott saw a header clawed away wonderfully by the overworked keeper. Despite the visiting pressure Brendon Daniels should have levelled the scores but flapped at a close range chance and just before the break he and his team mates were made to pay in full when Marriott showed true poacher instincts from three yards to nod the ball into an empty net after Jones initial shot was parried.


The half time whistle was greeted with boos from a restless home crowd but they did see a response from their team as both McQuilkin and Darryl Knights finally  gave Alex Street some work in the Linnets goal. Town responded in the best way possible to the pressure with a third goal following the move of the match. Gash’s quick thinking released Nathan Fox who in turn picked out Payne who  found himself in acres of space , allowing him to take the ball on and rifle past Addai to seal the point’s. The only blot on Lynn’s perfect day was McQuilkin’s consolation goal which ruined their chances of keeping their first clean sheet of the campaign but it mattered little on a day which had seen the visitors control the game from start to finish.


AFC Telford: Addai, White, Deeney, Walker ( Lait), Sutton, Streete, Cowans, McQuilkin ( Brown), Williams, Daniels ( Dinanga), Knights. Unused subs: Lilly, Royle.

Goal: McQuilkin 62.


King’s Lynn Town: Street, Jones , Fox, Jarvis, Smith, McAuley, Clunan, Payne ( Richards), Gash, Marriott, Kelly ( Fryatt). Unused subs: Henderson, Barrows, Hawkins.

Goals: Gash 18, Marriott 44, Payne 55.

Booking: McAuley


Referee: Joseph Johnson.    Attendance: 1003      




Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Facebook App Icon © 2019 King's Lynn Town Football Club.

We Shop.png