Linnets held by Leiston in exciting draw

January 6, 2019

Ian Culverhouse felt his side maybe ‘got away with one’ following an exciting Southern Premier Central Division draw at The Walks on Saturday. 
Former Norwich United striker Matt Blake had given lively visitors Leiston the lead on the hour-mark, only for Adam Marriott to continue his fine run of form with his tenth goal in Lynn colours with 15 minutes remaining.
"I thought we looked a little lethargic today’ said Culverhouse after the game.
"At times, I thought we coasted a little and looked a bit one-paced if I’m honest. We are usually full throttle and that’s the way we like to play but today that hasn’t happened. 
"The lads are disappointed in the changing room. They know they have under-performed and there is no need for me to go in there and tell them that. 
"Having said that, I thought our response at going a goal down was great and we had chances to win the game but it wasn’t to be.
"Peds (Alex Street) was superb for us on his 400th appearance and to be fair their keeper has also produced some amazing stops as well.
"Maz ( Marriott) has taken his chance well and could have had a hat-trick, but it was the same for their guy up top as well."

Blake had a great chance to put the visitors ahead early in the game but appeared to be in two minds when one-on-one with Street and the chance had gone. 
Marriott created himself some space but shot wide and Craig Parker saw Seb Dunbar clear his close range effort from the line. 
Blake thought he had put his side ahead as he rattled the underside of Street’s bar with an instinctive flick but somehow the ball stayed out and was collected by the grateful home custodian.
The dangerous Blake was quickly into the action at the start of the second spell but scuffed his shot from close in. 
Street then denied Kyle Hammond with a sharp reaction save which was then quickly replicated by his opposite number Marcus Garnham, who thwarted Parker’s effort. 
Blake finally opened the scoring when he got himself on the end of a quick Leiston break to guide the ball beyond Street.
The visiting number ten then spurned two more chances to increase his teams lead before growing home pressure resulted in the equaliser. 
Ryan Hawkins, making his 100th appearance for the club, delivered a corner which was nodded back across the box by Ryan Fryatt  to a waiting Marriot whose crisp finish finally beat Garnham. 
George Keys was then shown two quick yellows which ensured a nervy final ten minutes for Leiston to negotiate.
They managed to do so but only after Michael Gash had struck the bar from long range and a truly breathtaking stop from Garnham who denied Marriott a dramatic winner.



Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Facebook App Icon © 2019 King's Lynn Town Football Club.

We Shop.png