Linnets hand fans some early festive cheer with Biggleswade win

December 23, 2018

Biggleswade 1 King's Lynn Town 2

The Linnets came from behind to grab three important Southern League Central Division points at promotion-chasing Biggleswade Town on Saturday. 
Joe White gave the high-flying hosts an early second half lead but Chris Henderson’s quick response and a poacher like finish from striker Adam Marriott proved enough to secure the points and propel Lynn into a play-off league position for the first time this season.
Spells of heavy rain had left the Langford Road pitch in a heavy, but playable state which ensured the opening spell of the game saw both sets of players adapting to the glue pot conditions. C
hances were at a premier in the opening half with Ryan Jarvis heading over a Michael Clunan corner for Town and White pulling a shot wide for the Waders as both sets of defences held firm.
White broke through the Linnets' offside trap shortly after the restart and only the timely intervention of Rory McAuley prevented the dangerous striker getting a shot away. 
Jonny McNamara, so often a thorn in Town’s side over recent seasons, blazed a shot well wide as the hosts continued to probe a stretched Lynn defence. 
The pressure told eventually and it was White who gave Biggleswade the lead as he collected a low ball into the box before neatly turning and placing the ball beyond Alex Street for the game’s opener. 
It was a lead that lasted for only four minutes with the Linnets getting the quick response they were looking for – albeit it slightly controversial circumstances. 
A quick break out of defence saw Marriott collect the ball and embark upon a right-sided run which dragged across chasing home defenders freeing up Henderson in the centre who took the ball on before launching a rocket shot which struck the underside of the bar and bounced to safety. 
However the eagle-eyed assistant on the near side raised his flag and indicated the ball had indeed crossed the line and a goal was awarded which was the cue for long and loud home protests aimed at the officials. 
The goal clearly rocked the Waders with Lynn now looking the more dangerous. 
Substitute Craig Parker scuffed his shot following Michael Gash’s pass as Lynn took control and it wasn’t long before the classy winning goal arrived. 
Henderson picked out Frazer Blake-Tracy with a raking pass who in turn danced his way beyond several despairing home tackles before teeing up the razor sharp Marriott who swept the ball home past static home keeper Sam Donkin.
Town then dug deep and defended as if their lives depended on it to repel constant Waders' pressure and keep hold of three very valuable points.



Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Facebook App Icon © 2019 King's Lynn Town Football Club.

We Shop.png