Linnets return home with full quota of points from Barwell

November 18, 2018

A Michael Gash double ensured a third successive King’s Lynn Town league victory at Barwell’s Kirkby Road ground on Saturday. The experienced striker netted either side of an Adam Marriot penalty to ensure a full quota of Southern League Central Division points would be heading back to Norfolk after Jahvan Davidson-Miller’s header had given the Canaries hope.
The Linnets were forced to shuffle their resources with both Aaron Jones and captain Michael Clunan missing out through injury  which allowed Jordan Richards to start and Rory McAuley to return following suspension. 
The changes though appeared to hamper Town little though as they swept into the lead from their first attack of the game.
Ryan Hawkins fed Richards who in turn delivered a delicious centre which was met by Gash who nodded firmly past Liam Castle for the opener. 
The same player then failed to connect from another Richard’s cross when well placed minutes later and then proceeded to go even closer with another header that was scooped gratefully from his own line to safety by Elliot Percival. 
Barwell finally showed their metal with Jamie Towers firing over and Brad Hickey shooting directly at Alex Street following a scramble inside the visitors box. 
Confidence was visibly growing amongst the home ranks and Davidson-Miller grabbed the leveller with a deft header which had Street rooted to the spot after a spell of home pressure. 
Parity though remained for all of two minutes though as the Linnets replied in the best possible way. 
Marriott was quickly onto a loose ball inside the area and was met by an on-rushing Castle who brought down the diminutive striker leaving referee Andrew Ellis no option but to point to the spot. 
In the absence of regular penalty taker Clunan, Marriott calmly took responsibility and rolled the ball the opposite way to the goalkeeper's dive to regain the visitors' lead.
McAuley sent a header wide of the home goal following a corner and Hawkins worked Castle who was forced into a palmed save as the Linnets searched for a third goal at the start of the second spell. 
They did however have a let off as Liam Canavan drilled a low shot against Lynn’s right hand post with Street a spectator in the Town goal. 
Craig Parker then repeated the feat at the other end with Castle well beaten before Gash sealed the win with an exquisite strike. There was an awful lot of work for the number nine to do as he collected a pass just inside the area but the ex-football league man’s quick feet engineered the opportunity to strike a thunderous curling drive beyond Castle to snuff out any late home fightback.



Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Facebook App Icon © 2019 King's Lynn Town Football Club.

We Shop.png