Last-gasp Rory earns Linnets a point

October 21, 2018

King's Lynn Town 1 Rushden and Diamonds 1
Rory McAuley’s last-gasp equaliser earned King’s Lynn Town a deserved share of the spoils at The Walks on Saturday. 
The Linnets were unable to build on their five-goal win at Leiston in the week and looked to be heading to their third home league defeat of the season following Declan Rogers spectacular strike.
But Lynn’s big centre back struck in the sixth minute of stoppage time to earn his side a point.
The result left joint manager Rob Back both disappointed and frustrated as to his team’s lack of a cutting edge at The Walks this season. 
Back said: "It’s becoming really frustrating now.
"We were brilliant, outstanding in the week and everything we hit went in. Today it was almost a case of rewind seven days to last weekend with chances being created and missed. 
"It just seems we cannot take our chances at home."
The loss of striker Adam Marriott due to a slight hamstring problem didn’t help Back’s cause but he refused to blame his recent signings absence as a factor in the game. 
"Everyone has worked really hard today and put in a shift’ continued Back. 
"Harry Limb had a good game and will continue to get his chance as the season progresses. 
"It’s two points dropped but the positives are that we have again created numerous chances, we haven’t lost and we keep collecting points."
Aaron Jones had the ball in the Diamonds net on 20 minutes but failed to see the assistant’s raised flag for offside as he began his celebrations and Limb tested Ben Heath with a close range header as the home side began brightly. 
Michael Gash tested the busy Heath with a low drive but the nearest either side came to a first half breakthrough saw visiting forward Jack Bowen hit the base of Alex Street’s goal following a flicked header.
Rogers fizzed a 20-yarder over Street’s bar at the beginning of the second half with Ryan Hawkins repaying the compliment at the other end. 
A mazy Limb run ended with a driven shot that Heath did well to tip to safety as Lynn began to press again. 
However it was from an attacking position that The Linnets were caught out as Rogers found a pocket of space in midfield which he moved into before placing a 25-yard curler past a helpless Street. 
Town responded and Heath denied Hawkins with a diving save from close in.
Rushden though were still dangerous at the other end with Rogers only being denied by Street’s fingertips. 
Nathan Hicks drove wide from an acute angle and only Tom Lorraine will know how he failed to convert from only two yards to seal the win. 
That miss was to prove costly as with the last act of the game Michael Clunan’s free-kick was met by McAuley’s head to finally beat Heath and gain a valuable point for Lynn when all had looked lost.



Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Facebook App Icon © 2019 King's Lynn Town Football Club.

We Shop.png