May 7, 2018

Southern League Play-Off Final

King’s Lynn Town 1–2 Slough Town

A Manny Williams winner for Slough on 89 minutes stole the game away from The Linnets in front of a bumper crowd at a sun-drenched Walks stadium.

Ian Culverhouse named the same 16-man squad that defeated Weymouth in the semi-final on Wednesday night, Culverhouse resisting temptation to include club captain Michael Clunan in his squad.

And it was the home side that was quick out the blocks and created the first real chance, Slough could only half clear a cross into the box and the dropped to Michael Gash who’s first time volley cannoned back off the frame of the goal.
A driving run and cross from Ryan Hawkins across the face of goal just out the reach of the lurking Gash at the back post
The Rebels nearly benefitted from a rare Ryan Jarvis mistake, his under-hit back pass had to dealt with by Alex Street with Perry Coles closing quickly.

The first goal did arrive on 27 minutes somewhat against the run of play, Blake-Tracy’s free-kick from wide was headed down by Gash which was helped on by Fryatt into the path of Toby Hilliard who poked the loose ball home.
And in true Linnets fashion one nearly brought two, A high Lappin cross was missed by Turner in the visitor’s goal, Gash then hooked the ball across the face of goal which was then headed agonisingly wide.

The Rebels deservedly levelled just minutes before the half time interval, A James Dobson corner was only half cleared by the Lynn defence back out to Dobson who stood the ball up for Chris Flood to head past the despairing Street.
Coles almost gave Slough the lead in the 53rd minute when he lost his marker and hit a low shot that hit the base of Alex Street’s left-hand post
Flood then squandered a great chance after getting through on goal, only to be denied by a last-ditch tackle from Blake-Tracy.

Leon Mettam was then introduced in place of Toby Hilliard, and his first involvement nearly resulted in a penalty kick when his scissor kick was blocked by a Slough defender.

The Rebels continued to press, and they were rewarded just as the clock ticked 90 minutes, Manny Williams jinked his way into the box before firing past Street into the top corner.

Referee: Mr Daniel Lamport (Swindon)

Attendance: 2842


Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Facebook App Icon © 2019 King's Lynn Town Football Club.

We Shop.png