Final day victory wraps up 2nd place for Linnets

April 28, 2018

Chesham United 1 King’s Lynn Town 3

Lynn secured 2nd position in the Southern Premier League with a crucial victory at The Meadow in their final league game of the season. Cameron Norman’s free kick added to an early brace from Craig Parker secured the win which took the Linnets to an incredible tally of 100 league points, scoring 99 goals in the process.

In the end all of the top 5 in the league won, meaning that Weymouth will be the visitors to The Walks next Wednesday evening for the play-off semi final.

As expected a strong side lined up for the Linnets. Tom Ward missed out from the St Neots game with injury, so Toby Hilliard came into the starting line up with Frazer Blake-Tracy moving into central defence alongside Dion Frary.

Lynn were quick out of the traps and Ryan Hawkins tested home keeper Hafed Al-Droubi inside the opening minute, following a cross from Cameron Norman.

Hawkins was again involved in the third minute when he pulled the ball back across the box for Toby Hilliard. The striker failed to connect with the ball but Cameron King was following up only to see his shot blocked.

The visitors early persistence paid off after 7 minutes. A good passing move saw Craig Parker burst into the Chesham box, exchange passes with Michael Gash, and slot the ball past Al-Droubi to give Lynn an early lead.

The one way traffic continued and in the 18th minute Hawkins fired just wide after a good pass from the by-line by Hilliard.

Another well worked move saw the Linnets double their lead in the 23rd minute. Hilliard played a ball to King on the Lynn right, and his cross found Parker unmarked to fire home his second of the afternoon from close range.

Lynn keeper Alex Street was a virtual spectator for much of the first half, but he was called into action to deny Oran Swales in the 27th minute as he cut in down the Chesham left.

Hilliard then headed just over the Chesham bar following a neat passing move between Lappin and Gash on the left hand side.

Gash then had a chance to put the game beyond doubt just before the break when he shot over from close range as the ball fell to him at the back post.

In the 51st minute Norman extended Lynn’s lead with a third goal, curling in a 25-yard free kick following a foul on Parker.

Chesham pulled a goal back four minutes later as Shane Bush dispossessed Ryan Jarvis on the edge of the Lynn box and sent a low shot into the bottom corner.

Goals were now beginning to rack up amongst Lynn’s play off rivals as Chesham went close again through Jefferson Louis, the former Football League striker beating the offside trap but shooting wide with only Street to beat.

Lynn continued to press in the closing stages, substitute Siddons testing Al-Droubi at his near post, and Mettam putting the ball into the net twice only to be denied by the offside flag.

The play off semi finals take place on Wednesday evening. Lynn host Weymouth at The Walks, the “Terras” finished 3 points adrift of the Linnets after beating Hitchin. In the other semi final Slough Town are at home to Kettering Town.

Lynn: Street, Norman, Lappin, Blake-Tracy, Frary, Jarvis, King, Parker, Gash (Siddons 71), Hilliard (Mettam 66), Hawkins (Fryatt 75). Subs not used: McQuaid, Ward.

Goals: Parker 7, 23, Norman 51.



Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Facebook App Icon © 2019 King's Lynn Town Football Club.

We Shop.png