Linnets turn in 5 star home performance

February 3, 2018

King’s Lynn Town 5-0 Dunstable Town

The Linnets followed up Tuesday nights heroic comeback against Hereford with a professional performance, registering their highest home score of the season against Dunstable in testing conditions at The Walks.

Manger Ian Culverhouse made one change from the starting lineup from Tuesday night, Craig Parker brought into the starting lineup at the expense of the injured Cameron King.

As expected it was the home side that started quick out of the blocks, Cameron Norman who turned in a fine performance broke down the right before swinging in a cross that was nodded wide by Frazer Blake-Tracy.

A fantastic goal line block from Peter Closo denied Ryan Hawkins a certain opener only minutes as Lynn looked for the all important opening goal.

Visiting goalkeeper Will Hall pulled off several good saves throughout the afternoon, notably denying both Michael Gash and Craig Parker as Lynn continued to look for the all important opening goal.

That goal finally arrived with 36 minutes on the clock. Following a succession of home corners, the persistent Parker fired home at the third attempt. His first shot was blocked, his second effort hit the post but the third flew powerfully into the net.

And in true Lynn fashion one goal was instantly followed by the next, A lovely pass from Parker released Michael Gash whose placed effort was saved by Will Hall. A covering Dunstable player tried to clear the effort away but Ryan Hawkins was on hand to slam the loose ball into the net for his third goal in as many games.

It could have been three just before the break, Gash was again denied by Hall with a superb full stretch save down to his right to keep out his goal bound header.

Alex Street, who was a spectator for the opening 45 minutes was called into action in the opening minutes of the second half. A Dunstable free-kick from around 20 yards out was taken by Ty Ward and had to be clawed behind by the Lynn keeper.

In the next home attack Lynn won themselves a corner that was delivered by Michael Clunan and met by the towering Ryan Fryatt.

With the home side cruising to victory Ian Culverhouse chose to get some rest into key players. Gash, Hawkins and Clunan were withdrawn and replaced by Siddons, McQuaid, and Tuesday night’s hero Hilliard.

The busy Hall was called into action again in the 70th minute, producing a superb triple save from Hilliard, Parker and then Siddons.

Goal number four arrived shortly afterwards from yet another set-piece, This time Lappin’s delivery was met by the head of Dion Frary. His header cannoned of the crossbar but fell nicely for Tom Siddons to slam home the rebound.

With Lynn now in total control Siddons sent Hilliard away up the left wing. The frontman broke into the box, turned the last defender brilliantly but his strike cannoned off the crossbar with Hall well beaten.

Just a minute later the Linnets hit the bar again, but this time it counted. McQuaid’s strike from 20 yards cannoned off the foot of a covering defender and hit the underside of the bar. Hall got a touch but the assistant was in line and signalled that the ball had crossed the line to register Lynn’s fifth goal of the afternoon.

There was still time for Hall to make further good saves to deny Siddons and Hilliard, before the referee brought an end to the proceedings. Lynn’s lead at the top of the Southern Premier League increasing to 3 points following Kettering’s defeat at Royston.


Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Facebook App Icon © 2019 King's Lynn Town Football Club.

We Shop.png