Last minute Linnets topple Hereford.

January 31, 2018

King’s Lynn Town 3-2 Hereford

The Linnets came back from the dead to completely turn around this game at The Walks with a terrific second half show ending Hereford’s unbeaten away record of 53 league games without defeat.

Ian Culverhouse had the pleasure of naming an unchanged Linnets team following Saturday’s fine 4-0 victory at Hitchin.

It started brightly for the home side, Michael Clunan sent a deep free-kick into the Hereford box that was headed back across goal by Michael Gash but a covering Hereford player was on hand to clear any danger.

The visitors took the lead on 8 minutes, The Lynn defence failed to deal with a corner, a low drilled ball across the box found its way to Jordan Liburd who diverted the ball into the net.

Minutes later the dangerous John Mills created himself an opening after breaking the Linnets defensive line only to fire wide when well placed inside the box.

And it was that man Mills again who had the next chance. Again he broke through one on one, but was met by Alex Street racing off his line to save the ball with his feet.

The “Bulls” did however double their lead inside first half stoppage time. From a harmless looking free kick, a long forward pass from Billy Murphy found Mills and this time the big striker made no mistake in finding the net despite the best efforts of Street.

Lynn had to start the second half on the front foot and succeeded in getting themselves back in the game on 49 minutes. Good work on the right hand side saw Cameron Norman drill the ball across the box for Michael Gash to tap home at the back post.

Lance Smith then wasted a glorious chance to increase Hereford’s lead. The wideman picked up the ball before getting into the area only to screw his effort well wide of the target with only Street to beat.

Culverhouse rolled the dice, replacing defender Dion Frary with midfielder Craig Parker, and the change soon brought reward as in the 63rd minute Lynn were level. Cameron King released birthday boy Ryan Hawkins who sent a stinging drive across Horsell and into the net.

As the game approached the closing stages, Cameron King was withdrawn from the action after picking up an ankle injury, Toby Hilliard replacing him.

With a share of the spoils on the cards Lynn completed their comeback inside second half stoppage time.

Following a spate of pinball in the box, Hawkins was denied by a good save by Horsell but the loose ball was struck home into the net by sub Hilliard to spark wild celebrations on and off the pitch. 



Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Facebook App Icon © 2019 King's Lynn Town Football Club.

We Shop.png