Linnets brought back down to earth with a bump

December 9, 2017

Farnborough 5-2 King’s Lynn Town


All of Lynn’s hard work from Tuesday night was undone with a 90 minute horror show at Farnborough.


Ian Culverhouse made one change for the team that defeated St Neots Tuesday night, Frazer Blake-Tracy was restored to the starting lineup at the expense of Sam Gaughran.


And it was The Linnets that got off to the perfect start, Ryan Hawkins fired home a shot from 25 yards inside the opening 60 seconds that gave home keeper Beeney no chance.


The home side didn’t have to wait long for their equaliser, A superb run and cross from Jake Evans found Nic Ciardini who turned the ball past Alex Street with 6 minutes on the clock.


Both sides then cancelled each other out up until the 36th when the home side took the lead, Ciardini benefiting from time and space inside the Linnets box to slot past Street.


The goals didn’t end their, Just as the clock ticked onto 45 minutes the home side extended there lead, Jamie Cureton sweeping home from inside the box after a flick on from team mate Josh Huggins.


With the voice of manager Culverhouse still ringing in the ears of the Linnets players after the half time break it got worse for the contingent of traveling Lynn fans, Cureton was given a clear run on goal and just as he looked as though he was going to pull the trigger the striker was fouled by the recovering Ryan Fryatt that ended with a red card for the centre half and a penalty for Farnborough that was converted by Ciardini via the underside of the crossbar to seal his hat-trick.


Linnets striker Leon Mettam should of pulled a goal back for Lynn but he could only turn his effort wide of the target after Beeney couldn’t hold onto a shot from disntance from Hawkins. 


Ciardini’s goalscorring exploits wasn’t finished for the afternoon as he turned the ball past Street for his fourth and Farnborough’s fifth of the afternoon after some brilliant work from Cureton to hold the ball up well before applying a super pass. 


Linnets substitute Tom Siddons gave the Lynn fans something to cheer about in the closing minutes when he turned home a rebound after Beeney spilled a Cameron Norman shot.


Manager Ian Culverhouse spoke after the game and had this to say. 


“We wasn’t good enough, we couldn’t handle the front players, I think it’s a bit of a reality of how we are as a team that want to challenge, We can’t just turn up we need to do the basics and we didn’t do that today.


“They where better all over the park, I’ve never seen defending like that in my life, We can’t defend like that. We’ve got some big games coming up soon and we’ve took a hiding here this afternoon.


“We wasn’t good with the ball or without it, Today was a massive reality check for us, just how far we are away, Were not good enough at the moment, But there’s a long way to go and we certainly need to get better.




Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Facebook App Icon © 2019 King's Lynn Town Football Club.

We Shop.png