Clunan on the spot as Linnets come from behind.

December 2, 2017

King’s Lynn Town 3-1 Redditch United


A brace of second half Michael Clunan penalties turned this game on its head as Lynn came from behind to crucially take all the points against Redditch.


The Linnets started the game brightly and almost took the lead with 10 minutes on the clock, A whipped in corner from Simon Lappin was met by the head of Ryan Fryatt but his goal bound effort was blocked on the line by a covering Redditch defender and then cleared away to safety.


In the very attack, Lynn could and should of had a penalty, Again it was Lappin the architect his floated ball was deep to the back post where it looked like Sam Gaughran was hauled down by his marker as he waited to get on the end of the cross.


Lynn again went close on the half hour, A ball across the box by Ryan Jarvis found Lappin who’s side footed effort bounces back off the woodwork and away to safety.


Redditch then had a rare chance, Alex Street had to be quick of his line to block an effort at the feet of Dior Angus when the striker had broken the Linnets defensive line. 


Then totally against the run of play Redditch took the lead, A thunderous 30 yard effort from Alex Sammons flew past Alex Street and into the top corner. 


The visitors had the first chance of the second half and probably should of doubled their lead, Angus again slipped the defensive line but a superb one handed save from Street prevented Redditch‘s lead from doubling. 


At the other end Sam Gaughran should of got Lynn level, A Michael Clunan free-kick was nodded into the of Gaughran by Michael Gash but the Center half could only spoon his effort over the bar. 


The introduction of Leon Mettam and Ryan Hawkins seem to spur Lynn into another gear. 


Hawkins with his very first touch screwed an effort high and wide of the target after going through one on one with the keeper. 


A repeat of Tuesday night saw the Linnets draw level, Ryan Fryatt was hauled down inside the box and skipper Clunan coolly chipped the resulting spot kick down the middle of the goal. 


And in true fashion one soon brought two, And it was from the spot again, This time it was Cameron Norman that was brought down inside the area and this time Clunan smashed the resulting penalty into the bottom left hand corner narrowly out of the reach of visiting keeper Ethan Ross.


Stuart Fleetwood then saw his Redditch debut cut short when a red card minutes after being introduced as a substitute after a altercation with Hawkins right under the nose of the linesman.


Cameron Norman had the final say on the game, Picking the ball up near the touchline and driving into the box and despite being fouled an advantage was played and Norman found the net with a low shot across the face of goal that found the net via the post. 


Midfielder Craig Parker spoke after the game and had this to say.


“We had to be very patient, The pitch isn’t the best, We had to dig deep, We was wel on top, We’ve had one of the line, Had corner after corner and probably should of had a penalty, Then they score a worldie from 30 yards. 


“Even though we was one nil down at the break we knew that we had to remain patient and chances would come, and that proved in the second half with the two penalties and Cam’s goal. 


“We’ve got 3 tough games coming up, St Neots, Farnborough and Gosport, It’s difficult to go away from home and win. St Neots will be a tough one as their flying at the moment, But it’s always a good pitch at St Neots and at Farnborough so hopefully that will allow us to play. 



Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Facebook App Icon © 2019 King's Lynn Town Football Club.

We Shop.png