Linnets bounce back with victory

October 10, 2017

King's Lynn Town 2-0 Hitchin Town


The Linnets got back to winning ways to continue their fine home record in front of a bumper crowd at The Walks.


All eyes where on recent signings Grant Holt and Simon Lappin as both players made late cameos from the Lynn bench.


Manager Ian Culverhouse was forced it one change from the team that started against Weymouth Saturday, Striker Leon Mettam missing out with the hamstring injury he picked up in the first half at The Bob Lucas Stadium. 


It was Lynn who started on the front foot, Tom Ward having the opening chance when his header from a Michael Clunan corner was well blocked by a covering Hitchin player.


Full back Cameron Norman who was at the heart of most of the attacks in the opening period was the next player to go close, forcing visiting keeper Michael Johnson into a good low stop. 


Lynn keeper Alex Street was called into action when he had to rush off his line to save at the feet of Jonny McNamara as the dangerous attacker was played clean through into the box in the 15th minute. 


The best chance of the half fell to Michael Gash, Some good work down the left involving Frazer Blake-Tracy and Ryan Hawkins ended with the latter crossing for Gash who's tame volley was straight at Johnson.


In first half stoppage time the visitors where then reduced to 10 men, Following a Hitchin free-kick that was claimed by Street visiting defender Lewis Rolfe put in a late stamp clumsily and received his marching orders after much deliberation between the match officials, Ryan Fryatt was booked for the home side following his involvement in the handbags. 


It was Lynn that took the game by the scruff of the neck in the second half and rightfully took the lead on 56 minutes, 


Gash flicked a long ball into the path of Craig Parker who applied a lovely finish across the keeper and into an empty net.


One nearly became two just minutes later, Superb work from Gash to ram his way through the Hitchin back line saw him tound the stranded Johnson and pull the ball back for Clunan who's first time effort was saved well by the sprawling Johnson.


It was then time for Grant Holt to take his Walks bow as he replaced Ryan Hawkins on 72 minutes much to the delight of the crowd.


Lynn got their second on 75 minutes, Parker returning the favour for his opener, A good driving run into the box ended with Gash stroking home a lovely finish from a well placed cross into the box.


Simon Lappin was then introduced to the crowd as he replaced Parker on 80 minutes. 


Lappin and Holt both had chances to open their Linnets accounts, Lappin firing over a free-kick over the bar from 25 yards, That was followed by Holt who couldn't quite get on the end of a Norman cross from the right. 


King’s Lynn: Street; Norman, Blake-Tracy, Gaughran, Fryatt, Ward, Jarvis, Clunan (C), Hawkins (Holt 72), Parker (Lappin 81); Gash (Siddons 86). Unused subs: McQuaid and Hilliard 


Attendance 1067



Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Facebook App Icon © 2019 King's Lynn Town Football Club.

We Shop.png